Wednesday 5 March 2008

Coldplay>The Scientist

And so we're into week 5 of Lent already. This song brings back a lot of memories from when I first heard it, after buying it on the day A Rush of Blood to the Head (2001) was released. We were new parents, getting no sleep and struggling with how to look after this baby that had invaded our lives. We both commented on the chorus of the song at the time, and that before we had children people told us it wasn't easy in those early days, but blimey we didn't expect it to be as hard as it was!

The other thought I had then about this song is in the verse that says:
'I was just guessing
At numbers and figures
Pulling your puzzles apart
Questions of science
Science and progress
Do not speak as loud as my heart'


I remember relating this to my understanding of God. I've spent so much time thinking about Him, trying to puzzle Him out, analysing and dissecting everything I know or can read about Him. And yet, above it all it's my heart that somehow seems to know best. And yes it's also true - being a follower of Jesus is not easy. In fact it's bloody hard, just as Jesus promised it would be! Fortunately, we can always go back to the start.

PS I like the video, too - although it's a bit grim! And why does he just leave his girlfriend lying there...?

2 comments:

Cosmo said...

There must be millions of people who, through the ages, have reflected on the story of God and thought it doesn't make sense to the mind. It's foolishness, as someone once wrote.

But then those same millions, myself included, keep coming back to the thought of how the story of God is narrated and demonstrated in the person of Jesus and it just resonates within.


By the way, have you thought about how Chris Martin would have had to learn parts of the song backwards in order to make it appear he was singing forwards while the action went backwards?

Nick Coke said...

Had never really thought about how the video was made... but I guess you must be right.