Sunday 18 May 2008

The Sunday service: CAVEspers

Perhaps you've heard about 'U2charists'? In case not the 'U2charist' is a church service that uses church liturgy interspersed with U2 songs instead of traditional church music. Firstly, a quick word on this. I get the concept - somewhat in line with this blog - and I do like U2. However, in my mind it's cheating slightly! Using U2 is pretty much like using church music or at least Delirious? and the dozens of Christian bands that mimick the U2 sound. What I want is something a little bit more 'edgy'. So here's my first offering: CAVEspers...

Why CAVEspers? Well, there is definitely something of the night about Nick Cave, and it just seems appropriate that Vespers, the evening prayer service, belongs to him (although I'm very aware that the format below doesn't follow a Vespers format, necessarily). So here are some songs by Nick Cave that I would use in a CAVEspers service...

Opening hymn: Get Ready for love (Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus, 2004) Listen here...

Praise and Worship:
Hallelujah (No More Shall We Part, 2001) Listen here...
Carry Me (Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus, 2004)
I Let Love in (Let Love in, 1994) Listen here...

Confession:
Foi Na Cruz (The Good Son, 1990) Listen here... Translation here.
People Ain't No Good (The Boatman's Call, 1997) Listen here...

Bible Reading: There is a Kingdom (The Boatman's Call, 1997)

Intecessions:
We Call Upon the Author (Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!, 2008) Listen here...
God is in the House (No More Shall We Part, 2001) Listen here...

Sermon
Response: The Mercy Seat (Tender Prey, 1988) Listen here...

Recessional: Bring it On (Nocturama, 2003) Listen here...

And finally, here's a quote from the man himself about Sunday services: "When I go to church, I have to take so much of it as metaphor, and I find it very irritating. The sermons are often pathetic and untrue, based on terrible misinterpretations of the Bible. But I like the order and the ritual of a church service. It gives me an elevated feeling about the mundane. I’m more aware of things... I haven’t had any great epiphanies. I just feel it’s my duty to educate myself about the concept of God."

7 comments:

Sarah Dylan Breuer said...

Well said! Heck, I came up with the idea of the U2charist, and I didn't think of it as being radical. I'm a big fan of Nick Cave, and love your idea of and playlist for CAVEspers. I love the idea even more of mixing up the music, rather than doing only tunes form a single artist in a service, and I also love calling attention to under-recognized but outstanding musicians who write songs with deeply spiritual themes. The drawback to using music from under-recognized arists, of course, is that fewer people are likely to be familiar with the music ahead of time, so it might be harder to get full participation from the congregation. But why not introduce songs from rock, blues, punk, and other genres the way we introduce new music in general, perhaps teaching it before the service, and doing it repeatedly over a liturgical season to allow people to get the hang of it?

Thanks for your post!

Cosmo said...

That's quite the playlist to work through, but I'll give it a go and get back to you.

Nice idea though.

Nick Coke said...

Thanks for your comments Sarah - and great middle name!

Yep, I can certainly agree on the mixing up of music for a service. And the drawback of people not knowing songs - it could be that the 'setlist' is released in advance for people to familiarise themselves, although singing some of Nick Cave's songs are nigh on impossible.

Keep up the good work!

Sarah Dylan Breuer said...

Well, I've now linked to your CAVEspers here on the U2charist resources page. Hope it sends you some well-deserved traffic!

Blessings,

Dylan
_________________
Sarah Dylan Breuer
http://www.sarahlaughed.net
dylan@sarahlaughed.net

Cosmo said...

You've switched me on to Nick Cave here. Some cracking tunes I really liked.

Good flow to the service too.

Looking forward to more fresh ideas for worship.

Nick Coke said...

Thanks Dylan - much appreciated. I'd like to think I can reciprocate and that my many avid readers would likewise find their way to your website but I think Cosmo already has!

Cosmo - always glad to evangelise others into the mysteries of Nick Cave. Beware playing some of them with the kids around! I don't think he'd make a good all-age service. Hey, now there's another challenge!

Chris said...

Hey this if friggin great!