Friday 30 May 2008

The Sunday Service: DYLitANy (Week 1)

A highlight of my life over the last couple of weeks has to be my entry into the 'Never Ending Pool' (sad I know). This is a Bob Dylan related game - where particpants choose 12 songs from the master's back catalogue and get points if he deems to play them on the latest leg of his tour. I'm not doing so well at the moment but there's plenty of time for a comeback. Anyway, checking out my score every morning before breakfast I'm reminded of the incredible discography Dylan has. And so it's time for my first 'DYLitANy' in true 'U2charist' style.

Why DYLitANy? As well as being the only 'service' type pun I could come up with, the term litany is sometimes related to long and 'wordy' statements - something Bob Dylan can be accused of in his songs - although in my opinion only in a good way, as he rarely wastes any words!

Processional: Ring them Bells (Oh Mercy, 1989) Listen here...

Praise and worship:
Beyond the Horizon (Modern Times, 2006) Listen here...
I Believe in You (Slow Train Coming, 1979) Listen here...
I Shall be Released (Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits vol. 2, 1971)Listen here...

All age spot (optional): Man Gave Names to all the Animals (Slow Train Coming, 1979) Listen here...

Confession:
What Good am I? (Oh Mercy, 1989) Listen here...
Not Dark Yet (Time Out of Mind, 1997) Listen here...

Offertory: Only a Hobo (Bootleg series vol. 1-3, 1991) Listen here...

Intercession:
Chimes of Freedom (Another Side of Bob Dylan, 1964) Listen here...
Death is not the End (Down in the Groove, 1988) Listen here...

Sermon
Response:
A Hard Rain Gonna Fall (The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, 1963) Listen here...

Recessional: Lay Down Your Weary Tune (Biograph, 1985) Listen here...

Benediction: Forever Young (Planet Waves, 1974) Listen here...

3 comments:

Cosmo said...

I will get to this eventually. It looks good (and I love the pun).

In the meantime, why don't you send a link for this to Harry?

Nick Coke said...

Regarding the pun - there's more where that came from - as you will see over the coming weeks! I consider it a gift - pretty worthless gift I know but better than nothing!

Yeah, I'll pass on to Harry...

Wilbrand Rakhorst said...

Foundation Muziekbijbel is very happy with this blog on Dylitany !!!