Thursday 14 February 2008

The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Having been tagged by my brother-in-law and most avid reader, I felt it my duty to keep it going so in the true style of Arvo Part I'll 'festina lente'. (Find out more about tagging on his blog: Views From a Coffehouse).

The rules of the tag are:
1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five other people.

Well the nearest book, sitting on the desk right next to me is '1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die' - now you know where the material for this blog comes from! Page 123 has no writing on it all, but a photo in true 1967 hippy style of The Jimi Hendrix Experience pictured with two topless ladies. It's linked with a review of Jimi's incredible debut album, Are You Experienced? In fact as I look down the track listing there are so many great tracks there: 'Foxy Lady', 'Red House', 'Love or Confusion', 'Fire'. Anyway from the fifth sentence onwards:

'All are slices of rock history that are underminished in their power to excite and transport. The frenetic 'Manic Depression' elevates the depths of despair, as does 'I Don't Live today', both presaging Jimi's comet-like trajectory. Extended tour de force 'Third Stone from the sun' features distorted vocals and pyschedelic jangling.'

And if you want more you're just going to have to get the album yourself but it is a classic and was added to my collection when as a 15 year old I rifled through my Dad's LPs. A taster below...

Now who on earth am I gonna tag?

5 comments:

Cosmo said...

Yeah, psychedelic jangling. Gotta get me some of that! (I think?)

Thanks for taking part!

Anonymous said...

jajajaja (or hahaha?) :)
well, I don't know what to say about Hendrix.. I haven't heard him ^_^
I love your country's music, but I prefer Pulp..in facts I'd post you in your text...
wherever, thank you for answer my last post..but you could do it in my blog :)
did you see it? I think that you don't know spanish...so I will visit you later ;)
bye! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Nick!
Thanks for visit me! :)
I hope that you write someday about them and be sure that I will try to translate it and I will read a little bit of you :)

Well, now I will upload some pictures of idlers japaneses inventions.

I hope you be ok

see you later! ;)

Tim said...

Nick,

First of all, I had no idea that you were a music geek. Me too (though I tend to think that Hendrix was a little overrated and that, had he not died young, most of us wouldn’t know who he is)! In fact, I’ve long been fascinated with the relationship between pop music and 21st century Western culture. Not only is pop music a record of 21st century history (both Western and otherwise), but it has also been a direct influence on 21st century western culture and, therefore, history. Would love to do a more intense study on the subject and maybe even teach a University class on it one day. Who knows.

Anyway, somebody had just tagged me on the post before you tagged me. I wrote;

"Newbigin is clear, even eloquent about this. He stongly affirms the priesthood of all believers and the role of leadership in the church to cultivate this priesthood among all the members. Such a priesthood, he writes, 'has to be exercised in the world.'"
From Models of Contextual Theology by Stephen B. Bevans

I know it’s boring, but it was the closest book at the time. I’m currently working on a masters in Theological Education and that one was required reading. Not exactly a page turner but I did pull some interesting thoughts out of it, including the very first line of the book which said; “There is no theology. There is only contextual theology.” I totally agree!

Nick Coke said...

Thanks Tim - yeah I've read that book, too and yours is a good analysis!

Perhaps we need to get together some time and talk music. I find it good escapism from this business of ours...